.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
 

Things that make me go "Hmmmmmmm..." Marketing, Internet Marketing, and Us

Things that make me go "Hmmmmmmm..." Leah Blog

12.21.2005

Oh Google! Why hast thou forsaken us??

There have been a lot of rumors about and changes with Google lately and it's what the blogosphere is talking about.

Let's start with the recent announcement about AdWords landing pages.

What does this mean to us?

Nobody's quite sure right now, but here's the buzz on Webmaster World.

I'm not the only one to see a difference in the ranking and position of pages that are landing pages for keyword campaigns, and while this is supposed to be a move to lessen spam and keyword buys for not very relevant pages and sites, it's not quite working out that way now.

I'm not happy with the results so far, and it looks like a whole new optimization plan for landing pages for AdWords campaigns might become necessary.
This isn't the part I'm unhappy with.
What I'm objecting to is what's starting to look like intentional organic result demerits for pages that are keyword buy landing pages.

Do I need a tinfoil hat?
Or is this just a sad new business reality?

I know what direction I'm leaning in right now.

Speaking of people not being happy with the direction it looks like Google might be taking, let's look at the Google - AOL deal.

Notice the part about Google offering AOL SEO advice?

The other buzz is that AOL content will be prioritized in Google search results.
So much for purity of search result, eh?

I know I'm not the only loyal Google user who cringes at the mere thought of finding a bunch of AOL content in my Google search results.

But like I've touched on before, for engine purists and Internet snobs, AOL is kind of like the Atlantic City of the internet.

This deal includes, it would seem, an agreement by Google to place graphic ads on it's search properties.

We don't know if that means the regular Google search pages yet, but I just can't believe they'd be that foolish.

pleaseohpleaseohplease

These people seem to though and even go so far as to say that this deal and policy change by Google might actually be good for Microsoft as Google's loyal customer base will feel betrayed and turn to MSN for "fair" search results.

Are we being a bunch of Chicken Littles?
Or is our world turning upside down?

I doubt that the level of concern expressed on some blogs is entirely warranted and believe that Google won't switch entirely from their "Do no evil" corporate policy to a "Profit at all costs" model, but to be honest, I am seeing small and very suspicious changes in their search results and rankings that do seem to imply a laying on of hands rather than just a ingenious search algorithm.

We'll see soon enough if between publishing their recipes for ranking to make sure everybody starts with a more even playing field so that ranking is harder and more people become more likely to buy AdWords and the new deals with AOL and it's properties is Google turns into one big coupon filled circulars of suck or if it can remain the pure-hearted Search Engine with a heart of gold.

Right now, I'm guardedly optimistic, but we are probably looking at an end of an era right now.

Out with the old, in with the profits!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home